I recently spoke with a fellow aspiring author from the Wattpad world about making that step from Wattpad to traditional publishing and all the avenues and tasks necessary to make the transition. Querying, proofing the manuscript, writing the synopsis. Researching agents, comp titles, more, more more. It isn't just about writing a good story...its about building an audience and showing agents and publishers that you are worth their effort.
In keeping with this 'building your audience' idea, I've decided to do a little compilation of how to build an intriguing blog, and attract readers in a few easy steps!
1) BE UNIQUE - don't blog about what everyone else is blogging about. Mix it up! I talk about my own work, pitch parties, writing...but I have also discussed literary classics, book to film heroes, and more. Everything stems from books, because that I what I love,. But it isn't all just about my own, or what is popular. Think about the kind of topics that interest you, and if there aren't a lot of articles about it...change that!
2) AVOID TENSION - people tend to get riled up when you discuss politics, religion, etc...so, my advice? Don't do that on your blog. It may stir the pot, and anger new readers before they have ever had a chance to appreciate your work. You don't want to start off on the wrong foot.
3) VISUAL IMPRESSION - using images and the like tend to give articles and blogging a visual impact, rather than just words. Post covers, stills, etc to bring in other factors of your content
4) SHARE THE WEALTH - to avoid blogging burn out, and also to diversify your posting, have co hosts, and guest bloggers. Interview other writers, and discuss topics with them. Their new viewpoint and fresh stance will have other readers taking note, taking part, and possibly checking out your cohorts as well
5) RECOMMEND - if people are fans of your writing, and your blog, why not recommend what YOU love? Favorite books, top ten lists, films and the like that you found inspiring, and maybe even inspired some of your readers favorite stories of yours. Share that insight to yourself, and it will make your readers feel even closer to you
These are obviously only a few of the various different techniques and suggestions for writing an interesting and audience grabbing blog. Others, such as continuity, frequency, topics and the like change with each individual, since as a romance writer myself, I have little knowledge of the sci fi world...so for me to start writing about it would seem disingenuous. Keep your blog fresh, with variety, but be true to you and your readers!